subject search

Followers

suscribe


Blog Archive

Instagr.am

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkin Roll

Last time this year, Scott learned how obsessed with any sort of food (especially baked good) having to do with pumpkin.  Everything was pumpkin this, pumpkin spice that, I really do think I have a slight love affair with it.  Knowing this, he became eager to try out his step mom's Pumpkin Roll recipe and knew I would be right on board.

First, let me say...it was a a bit of effort to get a decent looking roll.  The first time we tried to make made a Pumpkin Roll, we didn't do everything exactly right and the poor roll crumbled in our hands.  Boo! We still ate it though, (and it was still very tasty) but didn't take any pictures of the Pumpkin Roll casualty...although that might have been entertaining. ;)

The other day I was at the grocery store and I was determined to even out this Pumpkin Roll 1 - Hesington 0 score, so I picked up the necessary ingredients to try it again.  When I left for work on Sunday I causally mentioned to Scott that we had everything needed for the roll again and before I knew it I had a REALLY exciting surprise waiting for me when I got home that night: a non-crumbled oooey-gooey finished and successfully rolled Pumpkin Roll.

*DISCLAIMER:  Since Scott re-tried the recipe when I wasn't around, I only have pictures from the first time we made it.  I've added all the photos that apply to the recipe listed, but not each step is pictured, like usual.

Pumpkin Roll:

I took this pic using Instagr.am.  Check out my gallery.

*NOTE: There are several different versions of the pumpkin roll out there, and you can get creative by adding things like raisins, walnuts or cloves.  For this purpose, I will be using the recipe Scott's step-mom, Kay gave us:

3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs (beaten)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup quality canned pumpkin
1 cup chopped walnuts (we didn't add this)
cream cheese filling (recipe below)

Cream Cheese filling:
6 tbsp softened butter
8 oz. (1 package) softened cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

To make Pumpkin Bread to roll: Grease a 10x15 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.  Grease and flour the paper.

Beat eggs for about 5 minutes until they are thick and fluffy.


*NOTE: I used eggbeaters to substitute the real eggs (pictured), but Scott used real eggs for the second one.  I recommend sticking with the real things on this one.

Beat in sugar and pumpkin.


SLOWLY!


*TIP: Try pouring slowly while mixing on low.


*NOTE: It's really important to gradually add the pumpkin in to the batter.  If added to quickly, it might result in a crumbled bread (our first mistake).

Add flour, cinnamon and baking powder.


*NOTE: Pictured above is Baking soda.  One recipe called for soda, another called for half and half soda/powder while Kay's called for baking powder only.  Any combination of those will work.

Mix into pumpkin batter until blended.


Spread evenly onto paper...easy does it.


Sprinkle with walnuts (we did not use nuts). Scott Somebody doesn't like them. :(


The first time we added raisins instead (pictured above).  The second time we didn't (below).


Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
Loosen cake around edges.
Invert onto clean damp towel dusted with powdered sugar.


*NOTE: You can also opt to use parchment paper, instead of the towel.
Peel off paper.  Trim 1/2 inch off all sides of cake. (Trimming will make more of a squared shape).  Roll up towel and cake together.


Cool seam-side down on wire rack. Make sure it cools completely.  While cake is cooling, make your cream cheese filling.

To make cream cheese filling: cream together the softened butter and cream cheese.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla.


Mix until smooth.

Carefully unroll the cake and spread cream cheese filling to within 1 inch of edges.


Re-roll (this time without the paper or towel) and refrigerate.

When you're ready to serve, dust with confectioner's sugar, if desired.  Cut into slices & Enjoy!


Oh, I almost forgot the last step: get your favorite helper to be in charge of clean-up! ;)


I hope you enjoy your pumpkin roll as much as we do did (That sucker's long gone now).  If you make one, feel free to share any success stories (or failed attempts like my first one) below in the comments section.

*Don't forget to enter in my Pumpkin Spice Coffee Giveaway: contest closes this Friday, Nov. 4th!

Happy Rolling!

2 comments:

  1. Hope this means you will make this for Thanksgiving this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we get a request for it we would be glad to bring it! :)

    P.S. Is this Aunt Sandy?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share me!