subject search

Followers

suscribe


Blog Archive

Instagr.am

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Out with the Old, Insole the New

Since beginning my half-marathon training a few weeks ago, I have finally equipped myself with a great pair of running shoes to get me through.  I have tossed the idea of using running insoles for my shoes back and forth, and finally gave them a try for the first time this week.

*Thank you Dr. Gideon Lewis for providing me with these Spenco PolySorb Crosstrainer Insoles.


At first, I was a bit weary that the insoles might make my shoe a little tighter, but he assured me the insoles would just be replacing my Mizuno Wave soles.

*TIP: Some people insert their insoles on top of the ones that already come in the shoe.  If you get a good quality pair fit for training, there's no need to double up.


Insoles help prevent calluses and blisters, which was one of my concerns with running and average of 20+ miles a week.  During my first 3-mile run in them, my feet felt cushioned and I had a comfortable run.


From this side by side comparison, it's easy to see why.


Plain and simple: insoles provide more thickness, cushion and support.

The insoles that come in your running shoes lack durability and are likely to retain wetness (sweat) and odor.  Simply replacing your insoles can extend your running shoe shelf life a few months, depending on how much you use them.

Will I continue using insoles in my shoes?
For the gym: probably not necessary.  For half-marathons and training: definitely. 


Questions:
  • Do you use running shoe insoles? If so, have you tried Spenco?
  • What other brands out there compare?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share me!