subject search

Followers

suscribe


Blog Archive

Instagr.am

Monday, October 10, 2011

Broccoli Slaw

Is it ever a challenge to get your family to eat vegetables?  Both my husband and I could be considered veggie-lovers, me being more of the raw veggie fan, while he prefers to dress his greens up a little.  It's easier to get your family on board with veggies when you find recipes and ways to dress up your greens.

One of my favorite things to keep in my vegetable drawer is a bag of broccoli slaw.  They sell 12 oz. and sometimes 16 oz. bags in the produce section of the grocery store.  You can steam it, mix it into a salad or add a few easy ingredients to it to make a great side dish for your next pot luck or backyard barbecue.

Whenever the bags of veggies go on sale at the grocery store I stock up.  I like to pre-make side dishes I can put in the fridge and quickly pull out for dinner that night, or even to snack on for a few days.  I'm going to start with a broccoli slaw recipe I make when I'm bringing it to a party or event, but I have a quicker and easier 5-minute version a little later on in the post.

Broccoli Slaw: Pot Luck Style


4 slices turkey bacon
1 12-16 oz. bag shredded broccoli slaw
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons (or 2 packets) sugar or artificial sweetener
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup finely diced red onion

cooktime: 20 minutes
servings: 8, 3/4 cup each

To make broccoli slaw: cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning frequently.  I use Jennie-O brand turkey bacon.


If you prefer to microwave, do so on High for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.  Drain bacon on paper towels, chop coarsely, and put it to the side.  Next, dice your onion.


Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. 


Add turkey bacon, onion and broccoli slaw and toss to coat.


Chill until serving time.

 
*TIP: You can dress this slaw recipe more by adding any of the following:
1/4 cup of non-fat plain yogurt
1 8 oz. can of low-sodium sliced water chestnuts, chopped
2 packages ramen noodles (cooked, without adding seasoning)
1 cup sunflower seeds

You can change up your broccoli slaw each time you make it by simply changing an ingredient or two to find what combination you like best!  As for an every day snack, I like to have something handy to snack on that will take me less than 5 minutes to make.  Here is my every-day version of a plain, healthier broccoli slaw:

Broccoli Slaw: Snack Style


1 bag 12 oz. broccoli slaw
1/8 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/8 cup cider vinegar -OR- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar (sweeter)
2 teaspoons (or 2 packets) artificial sweetener
salt and pepper to taste

cooktime: 5 minutes
servings: 6-8, 3/4 cup each

To make broccoli slaw snack: Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. 


Add in broccoli slaw and toss.  Enjoy immediately or store in fridge for up to 2 days.


*TIP: Have you ever tried Nature's Seasoning? It's made up of salt, pepper, garlic, onion and a few other natural seasonings for a one-stop seasoning addition to your food. 

 
I LOVE this stuff and will often even replace the need for salad dressings with it.  It's great on cucumbers, tomatoes, cottage cheese and especially broccoli slaw!  If you go with Nature's, just skip the salt and pepper step of the recipe.

What are some of your favorite slaws or slaw recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share me!