subject search

Followers

suscribe


Blog Archive

Instagr.am

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Eyebrow Threading

Ever since my sophomore year in college, I've probably gotten my eyebrows waxed a total of 10 times.  If you do the math, that's what...maybe a time or two a year?

Do I groom my brows myself then? Heck no.
I don't trust myself with that...(flashback to over-plucking in middle school)...eek!

*Good news: there's alternatives to waxing, plucking and tweezing and it's called threading.


I've been getting my eyebrows threaded for almost seven years now, ever since my college French teacher suggested it to me one day.  Completely random at the time...but totally appreciated. Merci beaucoup Monsieur!

While living in Tampa for the duration of my college years, I frequented the eyebrow threading salon by the University Mall.  At the time, that was the only place I had ever heard of doing it.

When I moved back to Orlando, I was nervous I wouldn't find a good place to go for my brow needs and for a while I reverted back to waxing.

*Bad News: my skin is highly sensitive.

After an intense workout and a warm shower, it can take an hour or so for my face to go back to a normal shade of pale.  True story.


When I have to get my eyebrows waxed I ask them to use a version of cool wax, if possible or at least to turn the temperature down.  Also, I request some sort of soothing cream for after the wax.  I only have a few select people I will let touch my brows with wax, and if you have sensitive skin like me, I would not recommend going to just anyone.

When creating your perfect eyebrow, consistency is key.  To save my skin from irritation from the wax, I try to get my eyebrows threaded every time.  Threading has become popular in Orlando, and salons can be tracked down all over the US.

Has it gone international? It already has by being in the US!  Eyebrow threading originated in the Eastern world, mostly from Arab, Indian and Persian cultures.   Women use it as a practice for getting ready for a special occasion, and in ancient Persia it was considered something that transitioned a girl into a woman. *source: Wikipedia.

Here's a quick video explaining what the heck I'm talking about:
*source: NBC via YouTube.



Does it hurt? Yup.  Does waxing? Yup.  I hate to say it, but beauty is pain my dears.  The first few times I went it hurt...a lot.  But, it takes less than five minutes and eventually your skin gets used to the pain. Since I've been going for over seven years now, I barely flinch at it.

In Orlando, I go to what seems to be the most popular threading salon in the city:

Rashmi's Beauty & Boutique
4374 South Kirkman Road
Orlando, FL 32811
321-945-6476

I'm not sure if Rashmi even has a website, but you can read some of her reviews online.  It may sound strange that she's successful without one...but I'm not kidding when I say sometimes her lines are out the door.  She doesn't do call ahead appointments, so everyone is first come first served.

I've mastered the science of when to go there when no one else really does, and if you're curious of when that is...ask me.  I would be happy to share my go-to threading time with my followers. ;)

A great way to find eyebrow threading in your area is to simply google eyebrow threading in...(your city name).  If there's any close by they are sure to pop up in your search.

Threading has even become a couples outing for us.  If you're a male and have concerns about it being a feminine thing to do, you might be mistaken. 


The ratio to guys vs. girls in the salon is usually about 10 to 1.  Boyfriends usually frequent, but hey it could possibly be where you meet your future MRS.

Just to prove how much of an advocate I am about the eyebrow threading practice...here is a another picture taken of my brows right after I got mine done a few weeks ago:


What would I do without my Rashmi? 

Speaking of...I might or might not be heading out for my perfectly timed "appointment" with her. 
See you later! :)

Questions:
  • Do any of you get your eyebrows threaded?
  • Any suggestions for eyebrow grooming for sensitive skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share me!